A - M(flags can be seen in order of appearance in the picture, labelled for convenience.)
A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A -
- Ace - A shortened form of asexual.
- Achillean - Any man attracted to other men. (not just gay men, it includes bisexual men, pansexual men,) Another similar term is MLM. The female equivalent to achillean is sapphic.
- AFAB - An acronym that stands for "Assigned Female At Birth". This refers to people that were born female, but do not identify as such. This term is mainly used by agender people, non-binary people, GNC people, and trans men.
- Agender - Someone who identifies as having no gender. They fall either under the trans umbrella (T in LGBT+), or under the + in LGBT+.
- Ally - An ally is a straight and cisgender person who still supports the LBGT+ community. It is important to note that allies are not LGBT+ themselves, but they are still very appreciated in the community.
- AMAB - An acronym that stands for "Assigned Male At Birth". This refers to people that were born male, but do not identify as such. This term is mainly used by agender people, non-binary people, GNC people, and trans women.
- Aro - A shortened form of aromantic
- Aromantic - The lack of romantic attraction towards any gender. Aromantic is in the + in LGBT +.
- Asexual - The lack of sexual attraction towards any gender. Asexual is in the + in LGBT+.
B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B B -
- Bambi lesbian - a cute slang term for asexual lesbians - that is, women who are romantically interested in other women, but not sexually.
- Bear - An informal term referring to a large, muscular, hairy, usually dominant MLM.
- Bi - A shortened form of Bisexual.
- Binder - A binding crop top that can be used by trans men or GNC, nb or agender people to reduce their breasts in an effort to fight dysphoria over them.
- Bisexual - The sexual attraction to both men and women. Bisexual is the B in LGBT+.
- Butch - A more masculine style for lesbians. It's the opposite of femme.
C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C C -
- Cis - A shortened form of Cisgender.
- Cisgender - People who identify with the gender they were born with. Cisgenderism isn't LGBT+.
D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D -
- Datemate - a gender-neutral term for girlfriend or boyfriend. An alternative is enbyfriend.
- Dead name - A dead name is the name chosen for a trans person by their parents. The name becomes dead when the trans person realises they are trans and chooses a new name to better suit them. You should never use a trans person's dead name after they have come out to you - it is very rude and disrespectful.
- Diamoric - An attraction that is neither straight nor gay, due to the presence of a non-binary person. Note that while only non-binary people can claim diamoric as an identity, anyone attracted to a non-binary person may call that attraction diamoric.
- Doe - A variant of femme that covers all WLW.
- Dysphoria - A symptom that some trans, GNC, nb and agender people can feel, which manifests as a great feeling of dissatisfaction, hatred or depression over a certain aspect of themselves. This can be about anything from their voice, their body shape, their genitals, or anything that conflicts with the gender they identify as. Depending on what it is, there can sometimes be medical procedures or other solutions to resolve dysphoria (eg. a sex change surgery, HRT, etc).
E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E -
- Enby - A shortened form of non-binary.
- Enbyfriend - A non-binary variant of the words girlfriend or boyfriend. An alternative is datemate.
F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F -
- Femme - A more feminine style for lesbians. It is the opposite of butch. (Femme may also refer to a feminine gay man, however.)
- FTM - An initialism that stands for "Female To Male". It is a term that refers to trans men, or men who are born as a woman. An alternate, less popular spelling is "F2M".
- Futch - A mixture of femme and butch.
G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G G -
- Gay - The attraction towards the same gender as yourself. This can apply to both men and women, but it is usually used for men, with lesbian used for women. Gay is the G in LGBT+. A more formal word for gay is homosexual.
- Genderfluid - Someone who does not identify under a fixed gender - their gender may change whenever the person feels it does. Genderfluid people may identify under the trans umbrella or under the + in LGBT+.
- GNC - GNC is an initialism with stands for "Gender Non-Conforming". People who identify as GNC do not subscribe to the traditional idea of gender.
H H H H H H H H H H H H H H H H H -
- Heterosexual - The sexual attraction to the opposite gender. Heterosexuality is not LGBT+. A informal term is straight.
- Homosexual - The sexual attraction to the same gender. Homosexual covers both the L (lesbian) and G (gay) in LGBT+.
- HRT - HRT stands for hormone replacement therapy, and it is the treatment that transgender people can choose to undergo to replace their hormones with that of the opposite sex. This has a multitude of affects on the persons body, from internal functions to physical appearance. The treatment is continuous for a multitude of years.
I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I -
- Intersex - Intersex people were born with irregular chromosomes, which causes them to not fit the regular definition of either male or female. Intersex is under the + in LGBT+.
J J J J J J J J J J J J J J J J J J J J J J J -
K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K -
L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L -
- Lesbian - Women who are only attracted to other women. Lesbian is the L in LGBT+. A more formal (and gender neutral) term is homosexual.
- LGBT+ - An initialism that represents the whole of the community. L stands for Lesbian, G stands for Gay, B stands for Bisexual, T stands for Transgender, and all other identities sort under the plus.
M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M M -
- MLM - MLM stands for men loving men, and covers all males attracted to other males (eg; gay men, bisexual men, pansexual men). Another similar term is achillean. The female equivalent is WLW. (Note- in other contexts, MLM can also mean Multi-level marketing, which is something entirely different.)
- MTF - An initialism that stands for "Male To Female". It is a term that refers to trans women, or women who are born as a man. An alternate, less popular spelling is "M2F".